Saturday 4 October 2014

food chat... Talking to a Greek gentleman


Hello Food Lovers!!

As you all know or would have known by now that this blog is all about visiting different geographies and having food. And it is nothing better than if you are introduced to the food by a person who belongs to that geography. But in our busy lives, we cannot physically visit each and every country however it is always good to know about the famous cuisines, eating habits and tastes of different places and also people's approach towards food.

Hence I have decided that I would dedicate a section of my blog to "Food Chats" in which I would be chatting to people belonging to different parts of the world, knowing their favourite dishes, eating habits and their food love.

First person I would like to interview is Panagiotis Galanis,  my colleague and a fine Greek man. Every now and then we find ourselves getting involved in intense food conversations. Hence I have decided to have him as my first guest and he has been really kind to answer my questions very patiently.

Here is the series of question and answers hope you will enjoy them.


1. Which part of Greece are you from?

Athens, a sunny city by the sea.


2. What is your favourite Greek food?

Hmm... that’s a tough one really, but if I have to choose one it would be Cretean meat pie ”tourta” – it is absolutely delicious.


3. What is the dish that you have grown up eating?

My childhood memories are associated with “Gemista” the traditional stuffed tomatoes, a very popular dish during the summer.


4. Which dish do you think cannot be found anywhere else as good as in Greece?

Most of them really, as they require good quality vegetables to cook, a rarity in the UK.


5. How have eating habits changed in Greece since you were a kid?

Not much really, fast foods claimed a portion of the take away food industry but Mediterranean diet is remaining largely unchanged - there is enough variety for every appetite.


6. What is the most loved Greek party snack?

Folio pies in the shape in small triangles, containing either feta cheese, minced meat or spinach (among others).



7. What food brings you home?

Kleftiko, a delicious slow cooked oven roast. I like the variation that is slowly cooked in thick baking paper.



8. What other cuisines do you like?

Indian, Mexican and Chinese. I enjoy them often. Rich and colourful cuisines.



9. Do you like Indian food? Do you find any similarities with Greek food?

I love Indian food -Yes! There is so much variety in taste, texture and colour that each visit to a good restaurant makes me very excited. I am especially fond the strong curry dishes.

There are surprising similarities between the two cuisines but also stark differences too.

In many instances the philosophy of cooking is very similar, but use spices differently. Of course there are plenty of entirely different dishes, but that makes it all the more interesting to me.


10. What is food to you?

A well cooked meal for me is far more than sustenance: It is a fascinating hobby (when I cook), a way of sharing and ultimately carrying a bit of the culture and enjoyment to your guests and friends. – Always a reason for respite and celebration.





Thanks  a lot Panos for sharing your fond memories with us. Hope we all keep enjoying good food as always. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment